Tuesday, March 1, 2011

:: teaser tuesday - The Cupid Booth ::

“I don't want your money.” She sounded cross.

“But on the air-ship...” Ellery paused, considering the wisdom of bringing up her occupation.

“Yes. I'm a thief. But I steal because I'm good at it, not because I'm desperate.”

“The fact remains that I owe you my life. At least twice over.” He straightened as best he could without dislodging them both from the horse. “I am a man who stands by his debts and I would pay you back for all that you have done for me. With money. Or goods. Or whatever you ask.”

Jo shifted, looking over her shoulder at him. “Whatever I ask.”

“Well, whatever you ask that I am capable of granting.”

“If I were to ask you to kiss me...”

“That would be inappropriate.”

“Why?”

“We are barely less than strangers. And it would be ungentlemanly of me to take advantage of our situation in that fashion.”

“Ungentlemanly.” She chuckled. “I guess we'll just have to leave it, then, 'cause I don't want your money.”

They rode in silence for a moment or two. Ellery wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. His heart was hammering fast in his chest and his palms were suddenly clammy. He had to admit the thought of kissing Jo was enticing.

“Is that what you wanted? To ask me for a... kiss?” His voice cracked on the word and he cleared his throat as though he had gotten a wuft of dust in his face.

Jo shrugged. “Actually, I was thinking of things far more intimate.”

No comments:

Post a Comment